701st Bomb Squadron Training Base
Scribner Army Air Base, Scribner, Nebraska
Scribner State Airport was constructed in 1942 as a United States Army Air Forces military training airfield. The 2,060-acre site is located south of the Elkhorn River and is surrounded by low rolling hills on the east, north and west. Agriculture is the main industry of the area.
The first official news that Scribner Army Airfield would be constructed came on 1 October 1942, with eviction notices given to area farmers shortly thereafter. Construction soon began, with two runways completed by 26 November 1942. 87 buildings and structures were constructed. The base was officially opened on 9 December 1942.
Scribner AAF was one of eleven training airfields in Nebraska, and came under the command of Second Air Force. It was initially designated as a satellite base to Sioux City Army Air Base, Iowa, though by 1943 it became an independent base, with Ainsworth Army Airfield, Nebraska, being designated as Scribner's satellite. The 4316th Army Air Force Base Unit had host unit responsibilities at Schribner. In December 1942, the Base Commander was Major A. J. Guffanti.
The field's primary mission was to provide aircrew training for B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator bomber air crews. In addition, P-47 Thunderbolt fighter pilots completed proficiency training at Scribner before reassignment to the European Theater of Operations.
Image courtesy of Wikipedia